Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Skull n' Crossbone Necklace

Last month I made my mom a simple skull/crossbone necklace to wear to a goth themed party we attended.

skull necklace

skull necklace

Sorry, it has taken so long to post. But, it took me awhile to find a suitable pendant to put on it permanently to go with her pirate garb for faire. That is, until a few days ago when we found her a nice piratey pendant at a local thrift store. I had to cut the large center tab to add the pendant. I wrapped the cut with black electrical tape and covered that with black string so the pendant and black beads wouldn't fall off. I also wrapped some string and wire around the two other larger tabs for something different.

The tabs are woven together with a skull shoelace I purchased in a lot at a flea market. It's a bit stiff. However, I thought is was kinda cool that the skulls are spaced just perfectly to show up between the tabs. I must make a belt with these laces!

BTW, I did spray paint the black tabs. Though, you can find black tabs on many cans of the coffee variety, I think. I don't recommend spray paint on tabs that will get frequent wear. THey scratch very easily.

Until next time, happy tabbin'!

11 comments:

  1. Got a question did you spray paint the black tabs?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I did spray paint the black tabs. But, I don't recommend it. The paint barely stays on the tabs and scratches very easily. I have a new method that works better, but it's not full coverage. I'll be posting pics when I get a project finished.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you tried a clear coating?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kybll! Yes, I have tried spraying with clear coat over permanent marker. It still flaked off just the same as the spray paint. But, anything intended for heavy wear will flake right off. Aluminum just doesn't like to have anything on it's surface. I've read of professional grade techniques that require highly dangerous toxic chemicals. I'll pass on that. I believe I need to find a way to etch, or rough up, the tabs evenly all over so they will hold paint.

    Thanks for the suggestion.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi MIELJOLIE, can i interview you through e-mail? I'm a student from nafa. I'm doing a research about the pull tab.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be honored to be interviewed by you. You can find my email addy in my profile. I'm also available through facebook.

      Mieljolie

      Delete
    2. Thank you very much! I have sent a instant message to your Facebook account to make appointment. HAVE A NICE DAY~<3

      Delete
    3. Sounds great. I look forward to speaking with you.

      Mieljolie

      Delete
  6. have you tried tool dip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never hear of "tool dip". Just googled it. It's a rubber or plastic coating for metal? Sounds like an interesting possibility. Thanks for sharing the idea. It would probably cover the rough edge pretty well, too.

      Mieljolie

      Delete
  7. This is Awesomeness!!

    ReplyDelete