Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Steampunk Corset Reworked

So sorry to have taken so long to post about this steampunk tabistry corset's updates. I've worn it several times since finishing it. I have no excuse for not sharing it, except that I was still tweaking the outfit that goes with it. But, the important part is I'm getting to it now, right?



I've made many changes since the last post here. For one, I adjusted the fit in the front. The unberbust part was too high. It still could be a hair lower, I think. :) I also changed out the front laces for metal belt pieces to appear more like a busk look. I found some pleather purse straps to use as shoulder straps. And, for purely aesthetic interest, I added leather buckled straps to the sides, gold buttons and some brown trim all around the edges for a more finished look.



All in all, I think it turned out pretty nice. And, the nail polish painted tabs that I mentioned in the first post are holding up splendidly. I will probably be using the paint again on other pieces.



You can read more about the rest of the outfit I'm wearing at my general craft blog here. I have other tabistry projects planned for the near future. So, you should be hearing from me again here when I get to weaving. In the meantime, have a can-TAB-ulous time!

6 comments:

  1. love this corset as well as your other ones. I am just getting started with your tutorials and am hoping I can make one of these. one for fairie fest, and another for Steampunk worlds fair. I just love your work. my first overall question is about how many pull tabs do you use for a basic corset. I didn't see any mention of that in your directions. lol of course I could have missed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Lady Seraphina! So happy to have inspired you're to give tabistry a try. My corsets were a bit of a commitment at around 1500 tabs (give or take a few hundred) ;) I think that's about a quart size bag full. Sorry for not mentioning that. Good luck with the corsets! If you have an other questions, I'd be happy to answer them the best I can.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you so much .. I just wanted to make sure I had close to that amount.lol I already have half of them ready to go. I will post pics as soon as I have it all done.
    Your work is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU! I look forward to seeing your results.

      Mieljolie

      Delete
  4. Hey there girlie, could you be a dear and email me a pic of this lovely corset without the complete outfit? I mean, email me a pic of the corset on a mannequin lol. my email is:
    theartofdeath452@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Gabby. I will send you a link to the best images I have. Hope it's helpful to you.

      Delete