Friday, August 15, 2014

Fancy Wide Sunhat

In my last post I shared the first of two hats I created for a fundraiser event we were supposed to attend last weekend.  Here is the second, a wide sun hat.



The twisting effect of the crown top inspired me to try an interlocked twisting top on this hat.  I made 10 chains of tabs that I wove in between each other in a kind of Celtic knot design.



I tried to carry the twisting overlapping effect onto the brim, too.  This particular chain technique will flex side to side, but not give very much when bent forward or back.



I was able to insert an acrylic gem into the weave on the center top.  (I like that it didn't require glue or anything to keep it in.)  Though, the addition of the gem on top kinda makes the top a little pointy.



The openness of this sunhat design reduced the number of tabs significantly.  This and the use of the gift wrap ribbon used really lightened the weight of this wide hat.



I think this would make a really neat effect for a basket.  I've been wanting to eventually put together some designs for baskets.  Wonder what else I can come up with before I get to it.  Until then, be can-TAB-ulous!

3 comments: