Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Victorian Hourglass-style Tabistry Corset - Take 2


Been working on the long overdue Tabistry Corset Tutorial, but got distracted by an idea to try shaping a new corset with something like gussets, or inserts.  I promise, I am trying to get the tutorial done.  Hey, at least this way it may come with another pattern option.  :)


Not sure why I keep trying new styles of corsets/bodices.  It's just a fun challenge for me.  And, I like wearing them.  (Kinda like a portable hug.)  ;)  I remember someone posted that essentially there isn't much difference in corsets and that all can tab corsets will look the same.  I think that's a bunch of poo.  And, I'd like to thumb my nose at that comment.  On my previous corsets I've posted about, I'd always shaped the panels flat and joined to achieve a curve.  Doing this, it was hard to alter the corset once it was woven. So, this time I tried just making a bunch of vertical strips, kinda like on the last tabistry top hat.  I started joining the strips at the waist being the narrowest part. Then added in what was needed at the bust and hips.  So, much easier to alter if you don't get it just right.  As you can probably see, this can allow for a more drastic transition in width, too.  And, I can add or subtract from the vertical strips to get the right length all the way around. Plus, it gives a bit more support for the bust, now that I can actually shape it more like a cup.  Though, this could easily be made into an underbust, as well.


You can't see it, but I've got a removable wooden paintstick "busk" down the front to keep it stiffer.  It really wasn't necessary, and I may not actually wear it, but it does prohibit me from slouching.  That center decoration in front was just an odd earring I found.  I was going to tie a ribbon bow there.


I laced it with two (actually four) laces starting at the center back.  I think this is called "bunny ears"?  It makes the corset stay tighter at the center to help the hourglass-shape.  Oh, and sorry, felt I had to "photoshop" this last pic of the back.  I only had bright neon orange shoelaces to try it on with.  So, I used some magic to make them a quick red to match.  Just wish I had these red laces.  When I wear it on the for an upcoming event, I will probably replace this with black ribbon. 

I'm really pleased with the way this one turned out.  It's a great fit and easier to make/alter.  Can't wait to wear this to a steampunk event in March!   The only negative side to it was the number of messy looking ends to tie off on the inside, which I could have reduced if I'd put a little forethought into it.  Guess I will never be completely happy.  I still want to try some other styles of corset in the distant future, but I will try not to let them distract me from getting the tutorial finished.  Until then, be can-TAB-ulous!!

28 comments:

  1. The shaping is very nice. I also like the red, it really shows off the hourglass shape. I can't wait for a pattern, let me know if you need a tester :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll probably take you up on that offer. I'm trying to keep it simple and concise, but fitting corsets sure is hard to explain. :)

      Delete
  2. It is lovely!! I can't wait for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Silvia. I'll try to have to available soon.

      Delete
  3. Very lovely work :D

    I hope I can make things like this one day soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! With a little practice and LOTS of tabs it's definitely possible. :)

      Mieljolie

      Delete
  4. Wow amazing! It looks great!! I really like this new style and the colors too! One of your best yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Corset is amazing.Pls let me know when you have a tutorial available. I'm gonna start collecting tabs for this project. The Corset is perfect for me and a new challenge. I love all your creation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will. Hope to have it done very soon.

      Mieljolie

      Delete
  6. Hi mieljolie(honey pretty). I just discovered your site and I'm so impressed and amazed at your designs and use of tabs! I've been saving soda can tabs for a while, but we're not heavy soda drinkers in our house, so I only have a couple of small glasses full. Anyway, I read that you are willing to share some of the corset patterns? My daughter is in her junior year(college) of musical theater, and this type of outfit may come in handy at some point. If you don't mind sharing, I would love to have the patterns. Thank you, E Ziegler (Miami)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I enjoy the challenge. Yes, I offer this corset pattern with detailed construction and fitting instructions on Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150885162/tabistry-gusseted-corset-pdf-tutorial

      Also, I've been offering my 1st corset pattern for free to those who want to try it. It is this one: http://tabistry.blogspot.com/2008/06/new-bodice.html

      If you would like the pattern for it, contact me through facebook or email address in my profile here. It does not include instructions, but does have a few suggestions for altering the fit.

      Thanks for commenting!

      Miejolie

      Delete
  7. Love this one, would love to have a pattern, I usually wear 12 boned corsets.. So this thought interests me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pattern is available on Etsy. :) Hoping to get some more tutorials up, too.

      https://www.etsy.com/listing/150885162/tabistry-gusseted-corset-pdf-tutorial

      Delete
  8. What string material is used between the can tabs?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used 1-1.5" wide polar fleece fabric strips woven really tight. Btw, some brands shed less than others.

      Delete
  9. I so love this, found it on Facebook in a group I am on. So looked up where I could buy it, and saw what you did.. I drink enough soda I should have plenty of tops to use here soon for a couple of corsets.. THANK You so much for posting.. And Sorry I do not have a blogspot or gmail. lol Lady Aryana

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lady Aryana. It feel good inspiring others to try new things. If you do make corsets, I'd love to see them and hear your experience.

      Delete
  10. hola, como esque puedo fabricar ese corsé? muchas gracias...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aquí: https://www.etsy.com/listing/150885162/tabistry-gusseted-corset-pdf-tutorial

      Delete
  11. This is so pretty I would love to make this but I can't make online purchases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Occasionally I do trades for craft supplies or handmade items. Contact me by personal message or email. Maybe we can work something out.

      Delete
  12. Hi Mieljolie,

    Wow what an amazing corsets!
    I really would love to make a corset, but I don't have enough tabs yet.
    Also i'm more of the underbust kind of type ;) do you have any patterns for an underbust?
    Thanks!!

    (Sorry if my english isn't that good, i'm from the Netherlands)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Eline. I'm actually working on another underbust corset design. And, I want to make another similar to this one in an underbust style with a few changes. This one is fairly easy to alter into an underbust. But, I hope to have a pattern available before the end of this year. Wish me luck!

      Good luck on your tab hunt! :)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! And good luck!

      Delete
  13. I finished making this "corset" this weekend. It was lots of fun to work on and has made me want to make all kinds of things with tabs. Thanks for the instructions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! So happy you enjoyed making it! Would love to see what all you create with your tabs. :)

      Delete
  14. I would like the pattern/tutorial I just love it!

    ReplyDelete