Sunday, March 6, 2011

Mardi Gra Steampunk Style - Hat and Mask



Had a costume party to attend this past Friday, so we worked on a few new steampunk items and changed up a few older ones. I was pretty stumped on what to wear to a Mardi Gras party that was Steampunk themed. So, of course I went Tribal Fusion-style as a base and added a mask and hat. ;)



I whipped up a quick mask. It kinda resembles an owl with the wispy ostrich feathers on the sides. I must thank Heather for supplying me with some of the gold-toned tabs. See, they did come in useful after all. :)



I also added a new brown feather and silver painted clip light to my hat. I wore hair flowers with some yarn falls in the back. The light came in quite useful, too. It was dark out when we got there making it somewhat difficult to put on last minute accessories beside the car.



Had a blast at the party! I'll be posting our other accessories on the craft blog (mieljolie.blogspot.com).

8 comments:

  1. That is so pretty! I love the mask.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pixie! Masks are on my todo list for tutorials. They're pretty easy to make and only require about 100 tabs.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hiya! The mask idea is amazing! I would really really appreciate a tutorial soon as i'm doing a stall at a festival where people can come and make their own trashion/upcylcled costumes.. this would be so perfect! Thanks so much for this idea :-) xxx

      Delete
  3. I just love the gypsy skirt! You are so crafty. I cant wait to see the corsets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The corset is still being fussed with. I did wear it a couple times in different stages of completion. I'm still not happy with some details. I did plan to wear it to a SP themed convention a couple weekends ago, but didn't make it there. So, its planned to make the next appearance at Scarborough Faire for a steampunk invasion with the drink dispensing bustle, I think. I'll get some pics when I'm happier with it. :)

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is incredible! Definitely deal-finding ingenuity at its best. And you look gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Mieljolie,
    I would LOVE to make a mask like this. Where i'm from (the Netherlands) we celebrate Carnaval (it's kind of a mix of mardi grass partying with the dressing up of Halloween). A mask like this would really finish my outfit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a great time! I hope you give a tabistry make a try! If you have any questions, I'm happy to help.

      Delete