Monday, July 18, 2011

Purse that doubles as a Lunchbox

Last post I mentioned that I was working on some items for a charity auction in Kentucky. Well, here is the purse/lunchbox I created almost entirely with can tabs. It expands to hold a six pack of cans!



The closure is one of the bottle cap jewels I've made for my other purse and some other items in the past.



They requested a blue/white color scheme to appeal the the University of Kentucky Fans. So, I used some blue/white and gray polar fleece I had on hand. It was strange, but the fleece appears to darken slightly when woven. No idea why that is.



As you can see the sides tuck in, which is common in many purse styles. I added a removable lining made from fused plastic grocery bags. Never ironed bags before. That was an interesting experiment I'll have to work with more in the future. It worked out rather nice for a lining. Since this is also a lunch box. It will be much easier to clean and keep condensation and other liquids from dripping out the bottom of the bag.



The base of this bag is really wide to accommodate the cans. I left a little space on top for those reusable frozen ice packs. Smaller tubes/cubes could possibly be inserted between the cans.



The closure will just reach even with the cans inside. I wanted to add a zipper around the top for better sealing, but I couldn't find a suitable one that would match and work properly.



I'll be posting about the hat next time. Until then, have a can-tab-u-lous time!

5 comments:

  1. Do you have a pattern for this? It's really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,,,,,,
    Nice work!!!!!
    How many tabs??
    How many hours to make???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow,,,,,,
    Nice work!!!!!
    How many tabs??
    How many hours to make???

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just wondering if you have a pattern for this bag,lunchbox. Please

    ReplyDelete