Friday, September 25, 2009

"Monster" Masquerade Mask

tabistry mask

Hello, again, all you fans of cans! We've just had our first small taste of chilly fall weather! Yay! Halloween is almost here! So, being in the spirit of spookiness, I made one of the hair holders I've been playing around with into a colorful masquerade mask using my stash of Monster (and other energy drink) tabs.

tabistry mask

tabistry mask

I LOVE me some anodized tabs! I used up most of my colored can tab stash on this mask. I never have many to work with because, to my dismay, they come on only energy drinks, and caffeine just doesn't play nice with me. I really like all the slight color variations of the tabs. Wish I had MORE. If any of you have any tabs to spare, I would just about beg, borrow or steal to get some more. Well, maybe just beg or trade. I've got a holiday project planned that would really be improved by some more red ones.

(BTW, awhile back I DID contact Monster about the possibility of a caffeine-free version. Hehe. The kind customer service rep actually wrote me back that she would send it on to the product development dept. for consideration. What do you think my chances are? It would probably have a plain old silver tab, anyway. DRAT!! I'm still waiting patiently for an update. ;D )

I may pick up some feathers and things to dress up the mask a little. I think a jeweled bottlecap will look nice on one side, too.

***** UPDATE 10/03/09 *****

Just finished adding some feathery decoration to the mask.

Photobucket

Hope it improves it. I like how the fluffy colorful stuff turned out. The idea was inspired a bit strangely. I noticed the "cracker", or tip, at the end of the poly rope whip I plaited for my daughter a while back. (The pics are on my other blog.) It got all fuzzy from cracking, as crackers tend to do. The poly rope comes in 75 ft bundles for a $1 at our dollar store. I went ahead and got some other colors (blue, red, and yellow). I may use them for other things. Can never have enough rope, right? :) Anyway, the black and white spikey stuff is plastic shopping bag. When you roll up a strip and pull it, it gets stiff and can stand on its own. I thought it was pretty cool.

Thanks for stopping by! And, have a SCARIFIC Halloween!

6 comments:

  1. Will keep an eye out for red ones for you. I have a friend who drinks a lot of energy drinks (monster, rockstar and the like) and I will see if I can talk him into saving his tabs.

    Also I get a lot of blue tabs off of my canned pineapple. I haven't figured out what to do with them yet, but I was thinking about trying a hair things. I do like this idea though and think I have an old thin feathered boa that I will try to add to this design.

    Thanks again for another wonderful idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be great, Jaenelle!

    Are those blue ones from the pineapple the larger kind? I may have a few if you need them. I don't always know what they come off of when I get them.

    You're right. A feather boa would look really nice and soften it up a bit. I have some bits of that stuff, but in the wrong color being light pink. I think I want to go with long feathers, maybe ostrich, in black so it doesn't distract too much from the colors in the tabs. I may hit the thrift stores later and see what I find.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, they are the larger ones and they come off of the Dole brand I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Then I have a very small amount of them. Like five. :) I also have a few red and many plain silver-toned tabs that are very similar in shape and size. It took about 60+ small tabs to make the "infinity" hair thingy and closer to 70 to make the mask. Not sure how many larger ones it would take. Guess you could combined them, too.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nail polish them as needed. Works pretty good.
    KDianne

    ReplyDelete
  6. KDianne, it's funny you nail polish. We are working on coloring some tabs so it won't scape off. We've had success with nail polish and those small Testor enamel paints. However, we aren't painting the whole tab. I'll get some pics when I get a project finished using the painted tabs.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete