Friday, September 11, 2009

Autumn is Just Around the Corner!

bucket hat collage

Pics are here as promised! Hope you like the new retro additions. While working on the hat tutorial I wanted to make a different style than the sun hats. And, after this hat was nearly finished it "told" me it needed a purse to go with it. (And, I really wanted to use up all the scrap from the hat) :) I'm really not one who uses a purse these days. I have a tendency to lay them down in unusual places. Oopsy. But, I've had a lot of folks asking if I'm going to make any purses, so I thought I'd better get one done. It probably isn't a very practical size for most, but I think it's adorable, anyway.

Photobucket

Both the hat and the purse are made from three t-shirts (black, blue and white) that I happened to have around because I keep EVERYTHING. They took most of all the shirts to make except a few small scraps. Because of the indecisive person I am, I made two styles of straps for the purse. The one pictured above is a wide strap to wear over the shoulder and the other is the two smaller handles shown below. They hook in with lanyard hooks. The purse has a bottlecap button on both sides that fasten to the removable closure. And, the hat has a matching bottlecap flower embellishment.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I lined the purse with some extra blue t-shirt I had left. And, I also added a small pocket inside.

Photobucket

Though you can't tell in the pics, I was very please at how my make-up turned out. I've been playing around with different looks and was trying for something a little retro 20's vampish or something. The pic below is the best angle I have due to the hat brim covering my eyes. It was very odd, not to mention sticky, wearing a turtleneck sweater, wool skirt and full length wool coat in 80+ degree muggy Texas heat. Wonder what the neighbors were thinking. :) I wanted to give the images a good fall/winter feeling. Just ignore the greenery, if you will. ;)

Photobucket

Thanks for lookin'.

14 comments:

  1. You should sell stuff on Etsy, I checked and there's nothing handmade under tabistry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Laci J! I have managed to sell some tabistry patterns/tutorials on Etsy.com. It is a great place. I eventually want to start adding some handmade pieces to my store. Just need to find some time to get extra things made that don't get claimed by family/friends. :)

    Thanks for the suggestion. You may try searching more specifically under "pop tabs" or "can tabs" to find some items.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to learn how to make the small purse - are you considering a tutorial for handbags?
    Thanks,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kathleen! I don't have a tutorial for the purse pictured above, yet. But, the construction is closely based on the hat, which can be found in my tutorial. The only difference being the bottom and addition of straps, closure and lining.

    I will try to get an in-depth tute for the purse up soon. If there is another style of bag you would like to try, I'd be happy to attempt another design, as well.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  5. What width did you cut the t-shirt strips?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lauren, the strips can vary due to the thickness of the t-shirt fabric, but it should be anywhere from 1 1/2 - 2" wide.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! It's been almost a year since the person above inquired about a tutorial for the purse. Would you happen to have one yet? It's just the cutest thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My goodness, Hiñaru! It has been a while! And I still don't have a pattern up for the purse. I must apologize for that. It's taken me longer than expected to write up the tutorials. But, I've been diligently working on the most requested pattern/tutorials whenever possible. I've been delaying this one until I can create a few more purse styles. If your comfortable with the basic techniques, I can put together a layout and basic instructions for this particular purse. Send me an email and we'll see what we can work out. My addy is in my profile.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would buy a "pattern" from you to learn to do that! They are fantastic!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Anon. I do have the hat pattern available. I'll be working on what I think will be a beach bag in the next couple weeks. Hopefully, I'll get some decent progress pics of that one.

    Mieljolie

    ReplyDelete
  11. So where can we find the hat tutorial? Would also like the purse tutorial as well. These are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pattern/tutorial for domed hats is available here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/159573974/tabistry-pop-top-domed-hat-pdf-tutorial?

      I'm still trying to find time to finish the purse tutorial. I will post on this blog when it is available.

      mieljolie

      Delete
  12. Do you have a pattern for the purse?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, I haven't written the tutorial/pattern for the purse. I do have the hat pattern with detailed instructions. They are very similar. You can find the hat on Etsy here: https://www.etsy.com/listing/159573974/tabistry-domed-hat-pdf-tutorial-and-4

      I'm currently working on a top hat tutorial and revamping the hat tutorials when I have free time. It's taking me quite a while. I will need to remake another few hats to do so. Wish me luck! :)

      Delete