Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Tabistry Waist Cincher

New Tutorial/Pattern for my Simple Waist Cincher is available!  This is a great project for a beginner or someone looking to make a medium sized project with about 500 tabs.  If a full corset looks too daunting, this is one you can learn a few skills/techniques from that will raise confidence levels.  It includes a few new techniques and options that are not in my corset tutorial.



I've worn my own cincher for some time now.  It's perfect for event we go to where there is a lot of dancing and moving that a full corset is too restricted for.  I made my first one way back after the pirate corset.  It's a form-fitting design, so there is little worry about fiddling to get the shaping just right as with my more complex corsets.



Though it is a "simple" cincher, this is is an indepth tutorial.  I cover just about everything you could ever want to know about how I constructed the waist cincher.  It includes detailed instruction for three different ways to fit the cincher from readymade pattern sizes (XS-XL) to custom pattern drafting for other sizes.  There are even suggestions for improving the shape of the readymade sizes to fit better.



I included details of how to lace up using what are commonly referred to as "bunny ears" in a variety of tab configurations .



I also include instructions for adding waist tape.  I think this is essential to improving the shape of the finished cincher.



My mom tried the Extra Large size.  To make it unique, and quicker to put on and take off, we added a front closure.  It was an experiment using two different sized tabs and binder rings.  (You know, those rings in the office supply section of stores used to hold hole punched paper together.)  I found a bunch of them at the flea market that I use for all kinds of things.



The binder rings worked really well and made her cincher more unusual in appearance.  But, I was pleasantly surprised to see the tabs held together pretty good on their own.  I need to get some pics of her wearing hers.



If you're interested in making one of these cinchers, you can find it here.  I think my next tutorial will be top hats or baskets.  We shall see.

1 comment: